Current Job Openings
- Staff Accountant
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Classification: Full-time, hourly
Compensation: $24 to $29 per hour depending on experience
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision Insurance, and 403B Retirement Plan with 12 days of annual vacation accrual, 11 paid holidays, 2 personal days, paid sick leave and ORCA transport Card.
HomeSight is a non-profit community development corporation promoting social and economic equity to preserve and enhance economically and culturally diverse communities through affordable homeownership, business development, and community advocacy. We develop affordable housing, offer first-time homebuyer counselling and education, and provide loans to qualified homebuyers. We work closely with residents, small business, and community-based organizations to foster equitable economic development in Southeast Seattle.
We are seeking a Staff Accountant to join our team. The Staff Accountant will be an integral member of the Accounting team and will report to the Accounting Manager. This position performs a broad range of accounting functions in assigned accounting and other lines of business areas. The position assures day-to-day operations are carried out in accordance with established accounting policies, principles and objectives. He or she will also be responsible for helping with all audit and ledger preparation and supporting managers across teams with financial procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce system-generated reports from the general ledger as needed for reporting purposes; prepare monthly reports as required.
- Assist with the preparation non-standard reports and statements such as cost and financial analysis, forecasts and projections, as needed.
Planning, Analysis & Control:
- Ensure the accurate processing and entry of all invoices into accounts payable module and GL
- Prepare checks for signature, assist with mailing out checks to vendors and supervise filing of all related documents.
- Record receivables and payments in GL (TMO activity, grant revenue and other sources of revenue and support).
- Administer accounts payable in a timely manner, process all invoices for payment prior to the due date. Work independently to problem-solve any inaccuracies on vendor invoices.
- Maintain accurate general ledger accounts for all tax and liability accounts, file all reports prior to filing deadline.
- Maintain depreciation schedule for asset accounts.
- Maintain schedules for balance sheet accounts.
- Maintain debt service schedules, including tracking all appropriate covenants (debt/interest coverage ratios).
- Prepare and input general ledger journal entries as required; reconcile general ledger accounts on a monthly basis. Assist in preparing month-end closing reports.
- Use TMO software to create monthly journal entry into GL for all mortgage activity; download reports to complete standard journal entries.
- Develop thorough understanding of organization’s accounting system; check and assess all accounting records for accuracy.
- Scan/Photocopy checks, invoices, and other documents as required; maintain check and invoice files.
- Prepare payroll via HRIS platform (review timesheets, payroll, export data to accounting software, reconcile and monitor balances between sub-ledgers).
- Manage the external credit card platform inclusive of reviewing coding, reconciling, and uploading data to accounting software.
- Reconcile all organizational bank accounts.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Compliance, Assurance & Internal Control:
- Allocate all expenses (code checks) to appropriate programs based on established chart of accounts, ensuring accuracy and compliance with the organization’s cost allocation methodology.
- Prepare reports and invoicing for all non-grant funders; code revenue and support based on established chart of accounts.
- Implement best practices, standards and procedures in all accounting functions and activities.
- Initiate and implement best practices of internal audit procedures.
- Assist in preparation for all required audits.
- Maintain well-organized and transparent recordkeeping and documentation to facilitate the orderly file system of permanent records for adherence to HomeSight’s record retention policy.
- Annually review, update and document accounting steps (including screen shots) in the Staff Accountant’s process manual.
- Associate Degree in Accounting or Business + 1 year of relevant experience; 3 years of experience in a similar position; or a combination of professional education and experience
- Proficiency with accounting software
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, nonprofit fund accounting, financial statement consolidations, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office, especially Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook
- Professional demeanor and willingness to cooperatively participate on a team in a mission-based organization
- Experience with the MIP Fund Accounting system
- Effective in working with a diverse and multicultural team of colleagues and customers
- Direct work experience with fund accounting
- Knowledge of real estate, banking, and/or mortgage
- This position primarily works Monday – Friday during regular business hours. Additional hours may be required as needed.
Please submit resume and one-page cover letter to email@example.com.
HomeSight is an equal-opportunity employer with a very diverse staff. We seek to recruit, retain, and advance people of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact.