Current Job Openings
- Homeownership Counselor
Our Homeownership Center has worked with families since 1990, creating over 2,500 homeowners. We’re dedicated to helping homebuyers find a personalized path to homeownership, put down roots in their communities, and bring financial stability through the generation of wealth.
We are seeking a professional, customer focused Homeownership Counselor whose responsibilities will include but are not limited to helping customers understand the steps in the homebuying process, assessing clients’ financial status, identifying appropriate financing options, creating customer action plans, and providing education for potential homebuyers.
Salary Range: $38,000 - 46,000
Benefits: Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, 403B Plan, 10-days starting vacation plus 11 holidays and 2 personal days, and paid sick leave.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
A successful candidate will have strong, interpersonal communications skills and can work well independently with supervision and as part of a team. This role requires critical and strategic thinking to problem solve while juggling multiple tasks. Our ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to race and social equity and experience working with diverse communities.
SPECIFIC JOB TASKS INCLUDE:
Assess customers’ ability to qualify for a mortgage by determining the strengths and weaknesses in their financial and credit profiles through the following activities:
- Calculating customer income.
- Reviewing credit profiles.
- Reviewing and creating household budgets.
- Creating customer action plans.
- Determining maximum mortgage qualification with program tools.
Provide expert consultation to customers regarding homeownership resources, regulations, and homeownership opportunities, including:
- Providing information on down payment assistance products.
- Educating customers about predatory lending practices and differences in mortgage products.
- Providing referrals to relevant community agencies or resources that may suit customer needs.
Meet or exceed annual goals for customer intake and homeownership counseling, by:
- Pro-actively communicating with customers on a timely basis to meet internal and HUD guidelines for customer engagement, workflow, and service velocity.
- Notifying customers at initial contact of all documentation needed to ensure they are prepared for the counseling process.
- Working with relevant third parties to verify required information and meet compliance guidelines.
Maintain accurate electronic and hard copy files, including:
- Working within our CRM, Salesforce, and Customer Portal to complete customer intakes and all necessary information, and close out service lines once completed.
- Updating customer files in our CMS, CounselorMax, accurately and in real time to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and internal processes.
- Creating an electronic file (and hard copy if needed) that accurately captures all documents provided and notes on the borrower’s file.
- Maintaining detailed and complete data entry and time logs to ensure accurate monthly and quarterly reporting.
- Attend community meetings, events, and committees as required, may occur outside of normal business hours including weekends.
- Participate in and teach Homebuyer Education workshops as needed, may occur outside of normal business hours including weekends.
- Provide input and feedback on program elements and effectiveness to improve service delivery.
- Attend trainings (may occur out of town) to meet and maintain certification and education requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in pre-purchase Homeownership Counseling or other related Housing Counseling field is desired, or experience and knowledge of real estate lending including mortgage processes, principles, and terminology.
- Strong software skills including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook and navigating the internet.
- Experience with Salesforce is desirable.
- Experience with Counseling Management software, CounselorMax, is a plus.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Adherence to confidentiality requirements and practices electronically, verbally, and in person while performing the duties of Homeownership Counselor.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal communications skills, verbal and written, with internal and external customers.
- Strong organizational skills, must be able to track, coordinate, and manage attention to discrete details.
- Demonstrated experience working with an economically and culturally diverse customer base where English may not be the customer’s first language.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle many tasks while maintaining adherence to time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to accurately input data into several systems.
HomeSight is an equal-opportunity employer and seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and to support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We are committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equal, valued and supported.
Please submit resume and one (1) page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2018.
HomeSight is a non-profit community development corporation promoting social and economic equity to preserve and enhance economically and culturally diverse communities through affordable homeownership, business development, and community advocacy. HomeSight Community Development believes in an integrated approach to creating thriving communities. We develop affordable housing, provide first-time homebuyer education and counseling, and make loans to qualified buyers. We serve communities of color and SE Seattle residents and, in addition to developing affordable homeownership options, we work closely with resident and business groups in Southeast Seattle to advance equitable economic development. Through these efforts, we look to build shared prosperity within these communities and prevent/alleviate inequitable and isolating development.